We know that your motorcycle matters to you more than anything else. Especially if you just got a new one, your excitement should be touching cloud nine. But have you worried about the fact, actually, How long do the motorcycles last?
Well, we all have somewhat worried about this durability matter. Of course, longevity depends mostly on the way of usage and maintenance. But on average, we found out that your motorcycle can easily last up to 10-15 years or even more with good care. Though the brand value adds up to the durability as well.
That’s not all; we have more information for you. Today, we will talk about your motorcycle’s approximate durability and how to take care of it to make it last longer. Moreover, we will also talk about motorcycles’ lifespan compared to other vehicles like cars. So, without any further ado, let’s begin our discussion!
How Long Do Motorcycles Last?
The longevity of motorcycles depends on various factors. If the motorcycles receive enough care and are well maintained, they can last as long as a car. A general statement about a motorcycle is that if it meets with no accident, it can easily run up to 10-15 years with good care.
As the year passes by, a motorcycle keeps losing its mileage. It doesn’t remain the same when one buys it at first; though you understand that it happens for almost everything, the durability graph gradually decreases. Also, some problems constantly come up as the days pass by.
But to be clear, there is no specific time for a motorcycle to last. It can depend on the brand, the part, and the engine’s power. Daily usage is also a big factor that determines how long a motorcycle can last. If one buys that vehicle from a cheaper brand, it can give service no longer than four to five years.
From every perspective, mileage is a significant factor in the lifespan of a bike engine. It is known that if an engine loses its quality, that particular vehicle can no longer run well. So if the bike engine has attained a total mileage of 100000 km, one can bid farewell to that bike. Because, after reaching this amount of mileage, the engine gets jammed and starts to act differently. It takes a huge amount of time just to get started.
Let’s assume that one is riding a bike daily, but the road condition is in good condition, and a well-paved one can add some kilometers to that number. But if the bike goes through a tough and unpaved highway, some kilometers should be substrates; thus, the bike’s lifespan can come down to eight to ten years.
Suppose one maintains the bike regularly, takes decent care of it by changing the oil daily, and protects it from any sort of weather fluctuation. In that case, the motorcycle can last up to its estimated life span of about twelve to fifteen years. On the other hand, if someone drives the bike with roughness and aggressiveness, it can reduce the time of its lasting period.
So at some point, the lasting period of a motorcycle kind of depends on the user. If the user uses it perfectly it will last longer, and if the user does not use it in a good manner, it will not undergo a longer period.
What Is The Average Life Of A Motorcycle Engine?
In simple words, the life of a motorcycle engine depends on its maintenance. There are some key points. If the motorbike has a low cc engine, it can offer up to 20000 miles without any problem. And if the motorcycle has a high cc engine, it can go for a big run. Such as, a 1000 cc engine can give the mileage of 100000 miles without causing any casualties.
High mileage bikes have their own limit too. One can not thoroughly depend on its engine. Some components reduce the time limit and capacity of an engine. If the oil is not changed regularly, some problems might grow in the lubricating chamber. Corrosion might also occur in the engine’s inner parts due to weather differences.
If one takes the motorcycle for servicing every six months, the engine can get proper washing, and earthly elements will be removed from the vehicle, making it clean and fine. Nonetheless, it can be said that simply a high cc engine lasts up to 250000 km of mileage, whereas the upper limit of a low cc bike is 50000 km. Although this whole engine-lasting procedure depends on the user and its proper maintenance.
Do Motorcycles Last Longer Than Cars?
Modern motorcycles are made with more power and strength than the old ones. They can even last long as cars, but they can not surpass the time range of a car. A well-mannered and powerful motorcycle can last up to twelve to fifteen years.
If you’re using it daily for your transport purpose, you should take tender care of it, and only then can you make the motorcycle last as long as cars. Motorcycles can achieve more miles per gallon when compared to some cars. Let’s say there is a fuel-profitable car that can tout thirty miles per gallon. But some motorcycles can go far from that.
Although the car has a more powerful engine that can easily last for a long time. That component makes the car more reliable than a motorcycle. Furthermore, if the motorcycle is to be compared with an engine of 1500cc lasting up to twelve years just as cars are hugely convenient. So it can be said that a motorcycle perhaps can not surpass the lasting duration of a car, but it can last just as long as a car if the maintenance is good.
How To Take Care Of My Motorcycle To Make It Last Longer?
There are many tactics to make one’s motorcycle last longer. Such as,
- For beginner riders, one should follow the protocols and the manual. One should also ensure they get servicing of their vehicle every 600 miles.
- There should be proper lubrication. Less amount of lubricant present in the bike might hamper the engine.
- When you start the engine after a long time or casually every morning, you should start the bike and keep it idle for at least a minute or so. This is a necessary step to circulate the collected oil from the sump to the engines after a long interval. Warming up assists in lessening the engine’s wear and tear, as the engine and oil reach optimum temperature before riding.
- The manufacturer recommends maintaining air pressure because it is essential for many factors. Right air pressure helps in achieving better performance and fuel efficiency. One can usually maintain 30psi in the front and 32psi in the rear. One should always check and refill air on cold tires because the air in the tires becomes hot and expands after running for some time.
- Inspecting the chain is required. You should also clean and lubricate the chain at regular intervals. The chain is very important as it transfers all the power from the engine to the wheels. A clean and well-lubricated chain lessens the engine’s stress and gives better fuel efficiency and performance. Also, a well-lubricated chain offers a silent and smooth ride.
- Your riding style directly affects engine life. That’s why the bike ride should be careful on harsh roads. And even if you are not on the harsh road, you should completely avoid aggressiveness and roughness while riding a bike. You should be smooth with the throttle and avoid declining the bike between the first and second gear as it is extremely stressful to the engine and gearbox.
- Avoid pressing the clutch lever while braking and use the clutch only for shifting gears or while coming to neutral. Unless there is an emergency, always plan the braking. It should always be a progressive action and never a panic reaction.
So these are some basic steps that should be followed to maintain a longer vehicle life.
We have shared a lot of fundamental information in the context of your motorcycle and How long motorcycles last. By now, it should be obvious that longevity mostly depends on your riding way.
The outcome will be fruitful if you handle the motorcycle with care. But if you do not maintain proper maintenance, you will reap what you sow. That’s why try to follow our given maintenance procedure whether you are a new or professional rider.
Also, do not forget to take your motorcycle for routine maintenance every month. Remember that if there are any hidden issues, you can face terrible accidents too. So sink all the information and get the best out of your favorite ride!
A warm greeting from Saiful Islam. My goal in starting this blog is to provide the most up-to-date and accurate technical and maintenance information for vehicles to professional technicians and regular car owners. This blog site, which I just made, allows us to share our expertise with other auto technicians and automobile owners.