Are you looking for a way to relocate your coil overs? Check out these LS coil relocation ideas! Whether you’re looking for more clearance or want to give your car a new look, there’s sure to be an idea here that works for you.
In this blog post, we will go over some of the most popular options and what benefits they offer. We will also provide helpful tips on choosing the right coil relocation kit for your needs.
So, whether you want to clear some extra room under your hood or improve your vehicle’s handling, read on for some great ideas!
What Is A LS Engine?
The LS engine is a type of internal combustion engine that is used in many modern vehicles. “LS” stands for “lightweight sports,” and these engines are often referred to as LSx motors.
The LS engine was first introduced in the 1997 Chevrolet Corvette and has since been used in various GM vehicles. LS engines are available in many displacements and can be configured for use with either rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive setups.
One of the main advantages of LS engines is their high power-to-weight ratio. These engines are also very compact, making them ideal for smaller vehicles. LS engines are also known for their reliability and durability.
Some LS Coil Relocation Ideas
There are many reasons to relocate your LS coil packs. Maybe you’re looking to clean up your engine bay, or you’re trying to free up some space for other mods. Either way, there are a few different ways to go about it.
Relocate The Coils To The Firewall
One popular method is to relocate the coils to the firewall. This keeps them out of the way and makes for a cleaner engine bay. There are a few different ways to do this, but one popular method is to use LS1 coil brackets.
Relocate The Coils To The Fenders
Another popular method is to relocate the coils to the fenders. This helps free up space in the engine bay and can give your car a more aggressive look. There are a few different ways to do this, but one popular method is to use LS1 coil brackets.
Relocate The Coils To The Trunk
If you’re looking for ultimate engine bay cleanliness, you can consider relocating the coils to the trunk. This requires some custom work, but it’s possible.
No matter which method you choose, relocating your LS coil packs is a great way to clean up your engine bay and free up space for other mods. So, get creative and see what you can come up with!
How Do You Relocate An LS Coil?
If your LS engine moves to a new location, you’ll need to relocate the coil packs. This can be done easily with a few tools and knowledge of where the new coil packs will fit.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal to prevent any shorts while working on the car.
- Remove the old coil packs. There are usually 4 bolts holding each coil pack in place.
- Find the new location for the coil packs. It is important to have good airflow around the coil packs to prevent them from overheating.
- Install the new coil packs and reconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Start the engine and check for any engine codes. If there are none, your LS engine is now properly relocated.
7 Benefits Of The Relocation Of A LS Engine Coil Pack:
- Increased spark energy – The coil pack produces a stronger and more consistent spark, leading to increased engine performance.
- More efficient combustion – With a better sparking system, the air/fuel mixture in each cylinder will be ignited more consistently, leading to slightly higher fuel efficiency.
- Reduced chance of misfire – Misfiring cylinders can cause a loss of power and an increase in fuel consumption. By having a more reliable ignition system, the chances of misfires are reduced.
- More responsive throttle – A better sparking system can lead to quicker ignition of the air/fuel mixture, making the engine feel more responsive to throttle input.
- Smoother idle – A smoother and more consistent idle can be achieved with a coil pack relocation as it helps to reduce the chance of any cylinders misfiring.
- Reduced engine vibration – By having a more efficient ignition system, there will be less engine vibration as each cylinder fires more consistently. This can lead to a smoother overall engine note.
- Easier to install aftermarket ignition upgrades – Aftermarket ignition upgrades such as higher quality spark plugs and wires can be easier to install with a coil pack relocation kit as there is often more room to work with.
Do LS Coil Packs Have To Be Grounded?
LS coil packs do not have to be grounded, but it is often recommended. LS coils typically have two wire terminals: one for the positive connection and the ground connection. The ground connection helps to complete the electrical circuit and can help to prevent electrical interference.
In some cases, LS coil packs may come with a built-in ground wire. If your LS coil pack does not have a built-in ground wire, you can usually connect the ground wire to any metal surface on the engine.
Are All LS Coils Interchangeable?
All LS coils are not interchangeable. Each type of LS coil has a specific firing order and a voltage output that must match the engine’s specifications. The most common coils used on LS engines are:
- 1x ignition coil packs
- 4x individual ignition coils
- Coil near plug (CNP)
The 1x ignition coil packs are the most popular choice for LS engines because they offer a high voltage output and a wide firing range.
The 4x individual ignition coils are less popular because they require more wiring and can be more difficult to install.
Coil near plug (CNP) coils are the least popular choice because they are the most expensive and require special mounting brackets.
Are LS1 And LS2 Coils The Same?
The LS1 engine and LS2 engine coils are very similar, but some key differences exist. The LS1 coil has a higher primary resistance than the LS2 coil. This means the LS1 coil will have a slightly higher voltage output than the LS2 coil. The two coils are very similar and will work together well.
DIY Ls Coil Relocation Ideas For Your Car
If you are looking for ways to improve the performance of your car’s ignition system, one modification you can make is to relocate the ls coil. Please keep reading to learn more about ls coil relocation and how to do it yourself!
- Find a suitable place to relocate your ls coil.
- Make sure the new location is secure and will not cause any interference with other electronic components in your vehicle.
- Mount the new ls coil in the new location using appropriate hardware.
- Connect the ls coil’s primary and secondary wires to the proper terminals on your vehicle’s ignition system.
- Test the new coil installation to ensure it is working properly.
- Enjoy the improved performance and reliability of your car’s ignition system!
How Do You Clean An LS Coil Pack?
There are a few different ways to clean an LS coil pack, but the most effective way is to use a professional-grade cleaning solution.
- You can find these solutions at your local auto parts store or online.
- Once you have the cleaning solution, follow the instructions on the bottle.
- Make sure to rinse the coil pack off with clean water after you have cleaned it, and then dry it off with a clean towel.
- If your coil pack is particularly dirty, you may need to repeat the cleaning process a few times.
- Once you have cleaned the coil pack, it is important to reinstall it correctly.
- If you do not install it correctly, it could cause damage to your engine.
What Is The Difference Between Round And Square LS Coils?
Round LS coils have a larger surface area than square LS coils. This means they can dissipate heat more effectively and are less likely to overheat. Square LS coils also tend to be more expensive than round LS coils.
Round LS coils are the most popular type of coil and are generally considered the best all-around option. They perform well and are less likely to overheat than square LS coils.
Square LS coils offer the best performance but are more expensive and tend to overheat more easily.
If you are looking for the best possible performance, square LS coils are the way to go. However, if you are on a budget or are worried about coil overheating, round LS coils are a good option.
More Questions & Answers
Will A Loose Coil Pack Cause A Misfire?
When one or more cylinders lose their spark or fire, the coil pack is likely to blame. This results in a phenomenon known as “misfiring.” As a consequence of the extra resistance on the crankshaft that is created by a misfiring engine, the engine’s performance suffers.
How Do You Know Which Side Of The Ignition Coil Is Negative?
Turn the engine over (but don’t start), and the voltmeter’s needle should move toward the plus sign (do not worry about taking a reading). Your coil is wired incorrectly if the voltmeter needle points to the negative side when you test it.
Do I Have Round Or Square Coils?
The terms “round” and “square” do not refer to perfectly spherical or square coils but rather to coils with a cylinder-like body for the former and a boxy body for the latter. The square coils don’t even look like a cylinder from the inside.
What Are Smart Ignition Coils?
The Specs of the Item in Question. For uses that do not need an igniter, this “smart coil” may be substituted. Inductive coils are the only way to generate a spark with the high energy and voltage seen in CDI ignition systems over an extended period.
Can You Paint Ignition Coils?
Sure, you can take them off with no problem. Always apply Grease & Wax Remover before painting to ensure a smooth, wrinkle-free finish. The coil packs aren’t painted in any way. I instead decided to paint the bracket onto it.
When An Ignition Coil Is Failing, What Signs Do You Often See?
- It is going to backfire.
- This vehicle has a malfunction, and the warning light is on.
- Slow Starts and Stops
- Stalling and jerking vibrations.
- Power failure
- It seems the engine is having some issues.
- Low efficiency of fuel use.
- There were a lot of hacking and hacking sounds.
Do Ignition Coils Add Horsepower?
A high-performance ignition coil benefits an engine in four key areas. To begin with, a bigger spark plug gap is possible thanks to the increased voltage, leading to a stronger first flame Kernal as combustion gets underway. The end consequence is an increase in effective engine torque.
What Does A Weak Spark Look Like?
An excellent spark will have a blue-white color and be easily noticeable throughout the day. A good spark indicates that the issue is not with the ignition system. For optimal performance, you should have the fuel system and the timing adjusted (sharp). Sparks of low strength tend to be orange or red and might be difficult to see in broad daylight.
Can You Unplug A Coil While The Engine Is Running?
Yes, you can unplug a coil while the engine is running. Doing so will cause the engine to misfire, but it will not damage the engine. The reason you can unplug a coil while the engine is running is that the coil is not connected to the battery.
You should not unplug a coil while the engine is running if the engine is under load, such as when the car is in gear and moving. If you unplug a coil while the engine is under load, it can damage the engine.
- Would You Rather Choose The Chevy 350 vs. 305 Engine?
- What Is The Dodge Ram Engine Replacement Cost?
- 8 Common RAM eTorque Problems You Often Face!
- What Is The Firestone Alternator Replacement Cost?
- Drum Brake Self-Adjuster Not Working?